News Blog Books Textiles Posters Workshops Undercurrent Gallery About us

Sunday 12 July 2015

The adventure of the Minesweeper ~ by Camden McDonald

THE FIRST TIME I heard about the Minesweeper was when a friend of mine, Nick StClare called me.
"Camden, I'm thinking of buying a boat. Will you come and check it out with me?"


This was summer 2002. 
 
Nick had recently come into some money he wanted to invest, and he knew I'd been crew on The Yankey in Manhattan.


"Ok," I said, "Where's it at?" "Greenwich." "How much?" "Ten Grand. All wooden, ex-minesweeper." I was expecting something interesting.


We got there about 11 o'clock on a nice summer morning, and eventually found the Minesweeper tucked away behind an Industrial estate on Deptford Creek. We were greeted by Rainer Cole and Nick Chow who showed us around. The story was that they'd got some friends together to pool money and resources, salvage the vessel which had been abandoned on the river, and turn it into a venue. Their project had been stalled for the past two years and the members had drifted away, so they were thinking about cutting their losses and passing it on to someone else. We were impressed. It's the kind of shipbuilding you don't get anymore on that scale - 110ft long, 21ft wide with a draft of nearly 6ft. Price: £10,000.


Flashback to summer 1954 Poole, Dorset. 
 
Jack Bilson is getting worried. The hull is completed - triple carvel construction larch with several thousand hot copper rivets holding it fast, each one hammered in by hand by two men – one outside the hull, one inside. But the ship still didn't have any engines. Jack went back to the office, and called Geoffrey Bone at Ruston & Hornsby in Lincoln.


"Mr Bone, I suppose you know why I'm telephoning you. I can't complete construction of the rear deck of M2706 until we get those engines. Our launch date was scheduled for 17th June, it is now Monday the 17th of May."
Geoffrey took a puff on his Capstan cigarette and sat back in his chair, "Jack, how much are the Royal Navy paying you for this ship?"
Jack made a face, "Geoff, I'm looking at a pile of bills from the foundries, from the British Electricity Authority..."
"These Paxman's are customised for each vessel, they have to be balanced with one another in a twin-screw configuration - that takes time, if you want it done properly."
"Half a Million pounds, Geoff. Half a million."


In summer 2002 Nick StClare was chewing it over. 10 grand was all he had, it was a big project, the back end needed alot of work, he didn't think he could do it on his own, and Nick was the kind of guy that liked to do things on his own - his way. On top of all that, his father advised him against investing in a wooden boat. He backed out. Towards the end of the summer I got a call from the other Nick, Nick Chow. They'd decided not to sell after all. They were thinking of getting someone in to live aboard and revive the project in return for a share in it. Did I know of anyone? At that time I was being egregiously ripped off by a landlord in Shoreditch. "Well, yes. Me. I might be interested." "Yes? I hoped you might say that. Ok, think it over and write us a letter laying out a proposal." The proposal was accepted, so I went over to Deptford Creek again to look the Minesweeper over in a different light. How was I going to finish the rebuilding? and how was I going to make it livable in the mean time?




To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment